Sunday 10 March 2013

Race Report - adidas Silverstone Half Marathon

Last weekend I did the adidas Silverstone Half marathon, my first race since going plant powered!
The starting straight, feeling good
I picked this particular race as I thought it was quite unique, set on the Silverstone F1 racing circuit. I pictured myself tearing through the track, kissing the corners and zigzagging through the chicanes.  The reality was much more sedate than that, averaging 13.5km/h rather than 135 :)

The race itself went really well. The new-improved-plant-powered Matthew entered the race feeling good and a full 7 kg lighter than when I did the Royal Parks Half. I felt really strong throughout and my only enemy was my own mind.  I realised that you need to train mental strength just as much the physical, which is something I need to work on. Since this wasn't an A race, I had to push myself to keep up a good pace, with a constant inner struggle of "slow down, no one will mind!" competing with "run faster you lazy bastard!"over and over.
Just before the finish line, smiles all round
Made it through strongly in the end, finishing with a personal best of 1:34:58.  Since my target was 1:35, I'd call that a success.  Based on that performance, my marathon should be 3:30 or less.  I need to get down to a 1:30 half to target a sub 3:10 marathon (and entry into the London Marathon)... Which gives me something to aim for in any case. 

Really happy with everything on my first running test, so a big thumbs up for vegan athleticism! 

No comments:

Post a Comment